|Certificate||Full time - 5 months, part time also available||
Annual Fees(indicative 2015)
Domestic$2,400 - $3,000
Additional Costs$300 texts
StartsFebruary, July, September
Application dueEarly enrolment advised
Madras Street Campus
If you are seeking a career in health or applied sciences but need the necessary background studies, this open-entry programme will give you the skills and entry qualifications for a whole range of more advanced health or applied science related programmes.
On enrolment you will select a pathway if subjects relevant to your next level of study, such as the CPIT Nursing, Midwifery, Medical Imaging or Applied Science degrees. All Certificate on Pre Health and Science students study a number or core subjects including human biology, cell and microbial biology, maths an academic literacy skills. You will also have the opportunity to select specialist subjects including chemistry, introduction to health and social services, interpersonal communication, algebra or statistics, dependant or which Pre Heath pathway you select.
In order to have the best chance of succeeding in this programme, you will need a basic level of numeracy and literacy skills and be able to dedicate sufficient time to meet the academic study requirements. This programme can be completed fulltime in one semester or part time over up to two years.
While this programme is open entry, English language requirements apply.
To complete this Certificate you are required to complete a minimum total of 50 credits. Please browse the guide below to view the course options currently available within this qualification.
To be a full time student you need to maintain a workload of 120 credits per year. We recommend you talk with us to ensure you choose electives to benefit your future career.
- This programme has open entry, but English language requirements apply.
If English is not your first language you may also be required to provide evidence of your English language skills as listed below. If you have no evidence of your English language skills and are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, contact us for an assessment.
- IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no lower than 5.5 in the
speaking and reading subtests and 6.0 in the listening and
writing subtests). For acceptable alternatives refer to the
English Proficiency Outcomes Chart.
Note: If you have achieved NCEA Level 3 University Entrance requirements you are not required to provide evidence of English Language Skills.
- IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no lower than 5.5 in the speaking and reading subtests and 6.0 in the listening and writing subtests). For acceptable alternatives refer to the English Proficiency Outcomes Chart.
Results from specified courses within the Certificate in Pre Health and Science may be used for selection purposes according to pre-determined minimums.
To apply for this programme please:
- complete an Admission and Enrolment Form or an International Application Form
If you feel you have gained your learning through on the job experience talk to us about recognition or assessment of prior learning .
The Certificate in Pre Health and Science will introduce you to health and applied sciences and prepare you for further study in your chosen area.
As a certificate graduate you will be in an ideal position to progress to many other CPIT programmes including:
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Human Nutrition)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Laboratory Technology)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Physical Activity, Health and Wellness or Sport and Exercise Science)
- Bachelor of Medical Imaging
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Nursing
Recommended school subjects
- Admission & Enrolment Form PDF File: 182.3 KB
- Certificate in Pre Health and Science timetable PDF File: 299.4 KB
- Pathways for Certificate in Pre Health and Science PDF File: 32.4 KB
Maths for Pre Health A
Maths for Pre Health B
Introduction to Chemistry
Introduction to Health and Social Services
Maths & Statistics
The Human Body