|Degree||Full time - 3 years, part time also available.||
Annual Fees(indicative 2013)
Domestic$5,500 - $6,000
Additional CostsAdvised before enrolment
Application dueReceived all year
Madras Street Campus
Develop the specialist skills to ensure that entertainment, conferences and marketing events are run smoothly, our in-depth qualification covers all the facets required to create and manage successful events.
In your first year of study you will develop knowledge in business strategies and operations with core studies in accounting, business communication, commercial law, business heritage, culture and sustainability, marketing, computing, management and applied research.
For the following two years we spotlight the skills, knowledge and abilities you need to become a proficient manager of events with studies including:
- Event Logistics - Develops conceptual thinking, strategic planning and tactical skills.
- Event Planning and Management - Uses current theory to plan, manage and evaluate events and conferences.
- Project Management - Examines planning terminology and principles, and project plans created using MS Project®.
- Event Marketing and Sponsorship - Covers planning, monitoring, evaluating and controlling funding arrangements.
- Event Project - Create, plan, manage, and evaluate an event or event related project.
Cooperative Education Project - with this aspect of our programme you will work within a real business environment applying your learning for a minimum of 400 hours. You will also complete a significant research project for your host organisation.
To complete this Degree you are required to complete a minimum total of 360 credits. You must complete all 10 core courses of which there are 8 at level 5 and 2 at level 6.
You will need to complete the required courses in a major, three courses at Level 6 and two courses at Level 7. Five additional courses need to be completed which could be a second major, three courses at Level 6 and two courses at Level 7, or you will then choose five elective courses to the value of 75 credits at Level 5, 6 and 7. The remaining 60 credits go towards your industry project. Please browse the guide below to view the course options currently available within this qualification. To be a full time student you need to maintain a workload of 120 credits per year. We recommend you talk with us to ensure you choose electives to benefit your future career.
It is important to note that if you are already working in this area you can apply to have your work experience recognised with credits towards this qualification. For more information contact the Centre for Assessment of Prior Learning via email firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 940 8214.
- NCEA Level 3 (60 credits at Level 3 and 20 credits at Level 2 or higher) which must include 14 credits at Level 3 in each of three approved* subjects and
- Literacy* - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading, 5 credits in writing and
- Numeracy* - 10 credits at Level 1 or above (specified achievement standards, or unit standards 26623, 26626, 26627)
Note: Students who have undertaken examinations other than NCEA (eg International Baccalaureate, Cambridge examination) should contact CPIT for requirements.
* NZQA approved subjects: see www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualifications-standards/awards/university-entrance/approved-subjects
- Evidence of literacy, numeracy and an ability to study at the appropriate level. This can be through study, work and/or life experience. CPIT literacy and numeracy assessments are available.
If English is not your first language you may also be
required to provide evidence of your English language skills as
listed below. If you have no evidence of your English language
skills and are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident,
contact us for an assessment.
- IELTS 6.0 Academic (no lower than 6.0 in all
subtests).For acceptable alternatives refer to the English
Proficiency Outcomes Chart.
Note: If you have achieved NCEA Level 3 University Entrance requirements you are not required to provide evidence of English Language Skills.
- IELTS 6.0 Academic (no lower than 6.0 in all subtests).For acceptable alternatives refer to the English Proficiency Outcomes Chart.
To apply for this programme please:
- complete an application form
If you don't meet the criteria for entry into this programme, we can help you meet entry level with our foundation and bridging programmes.
Alternatively, if you feel you have gained your learning through on the job experience talk to us about recognition or assessment of prior learning .
A career in event management will take you from a novice event organiser to a proficient manager of events. You will develop a wide ranging understanding of event planning, including the scheduling of multiple facets of an event. In addition you will develop the logistical skills to manage event components.
Career opportunities include fundraising, conferences, festivals, arts and tourism event management, facility based event management, public relations, sponsorship and marketing.
Our Graduate Diploma in Event Management will extend your prospects in this sector.
Recommended school subjects
- Computing / ICT
Academic Reading and Writing
Business Heritage, Culture and Sustainability
Business Statistical Analysis
Introduction to Marketing
Accounting Information Systems
Auditing and Assurance
Event Planning and Management
Innovation and Creativity
Intermediate Financial Accounting
Intermediate Management Accounting
Introduction to Business Analysis
Introduction to Finance
Market Development and Sales
Marketing Planning and Control
Principles of Leadership
Strategic Planning for Small Business
Systems Analysis and Design
Taxation in NZ
The Law of Business Entities
Advanced Financial Accounting
Advanced Human Resource Management
Advanced Management Accounting
Advanced Project Management
Business Transformation and Change
Contemporary Issues in Human Resource Management
Cooperative Education Project
Event Marketing and Sponsorship
Management of Information and Communication Technologies
Managing for Growth
Resource Integration Management