To introduce students to core concepts of oral tradition, mythology and the evolution of Maori thought by looking at Ngai Tahu and their own tribal oral traditions.
- Describe the core concepts, values, ethics and social systems of pre-European Maori society with a focus on iwitanga and the South Island context
- Critique secondary, prescribed sources of literature
- Assess the nature and authenticity of Maori oral tradition
- Examine own iwi oral traditions
Included in these Qualifications
This course is offered as part of the following programmes at CPIT.
- Te Atatū - Diploma in Māori Studies
- Bachelor of Language (Māori)